Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, July 24, 2015

Educated Rita

Here's the typical article that thinks "professionalism" and "creativity" are the opposite of each other. In my view, creativity emerges through discipline, in both senses of the word. I had a student once who thought he was creative but pronounced the word "gozo" with a voiced sibilant. He was a graduate student. Being creative in scholarship means doing it better, not more lazily as many people seem to think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with this in the spirit in which you clearly mean it, but then again do not. "Professionalism" so often does not mean expertise but conformity, and there is also the Woolf critique of professionalism and professionalization ... which is not the same as the argument that we should all be gentleman scholars.

Cool teaching materials on the Woolf text I am talking about -- http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/sci_cult/courses/sexgender/f05/day24.html